University of Northern Colorado, Honorary Degrees collection
Collection Scope and Contents
This collection contains information on select individuals who received honorary degrees from the University of Northern Colorado (and its former names). Materials include nomination letters and supporting documentation, newspaper clippings, and press releases. There is also a list of honorary degrees conferred through 2010.
- 1911 - 2014
- University of Northern Colorado (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright restrictons may apply. User is responsible for all copyright compliance. Please contact the Archives and Special Collections Department for further information.
Emily Griffith, Deputy Superintendent of Public Instruction for Colorado, received the first honorary degree, a diploma, in 1911. Source: Board of Trustees Minutes, July 27, 1911.
Honorary degrees are granted from time to time, usually at a commencement. However, the name of the recipient and the title of the degree do not always appear in the commencement program. Degrees are awarded by action of the Board of Trustees on recommendation of the President. The following types of Honorary Degrees were conferred: D.P.S. -- Doctor of Public Service Ed.D. -- Doctor of Education Doctor of Human Services L.H.D. -- Doctor of Humane Letters Litt.D. -- Doctor of Letters LL.D. -- Doctor of Laws Mus.D. -- Doctor of Music M.A. -- Master of Arts Sc.D. -- Doctor of Science
1.5 Linear Feet (1 box)
Language of Materials
This collection consists of information about select individuals who received honorary degrees from the University of Northern Colorado.
Arranged in folders alphabetically by the name of the recipient.
Martin Weitz booklet acquired from unknown source in 1974. Archives staff have added clippings through the years. Acquisitions information for remainder of collection is unknown.
- University of Northern Colorado, Honorary Degrees collection
- Minimally Processed
- Shirley Soenksen
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Edition statement
- The earliest Outline/Table of Contents for RG004 that lists Series 8 is dated February 1991 with revisions following in July 1994, August 1994, December 1994, April 1995, December 1995, January 1996, August 4, 2001, September 10, 2001, November 6, 2001, July 31, 2002, August 23, 2002, September 18, 2002, March 10, 2003, and April 14, 2003. The Outline/Table of Contents were probably created by Mary Linscome, Archivist, and typed by Eve Measner. Shirley Soenksen created inventories for RG004 (includes Series 8) on June 18, 2015, October 6, 2016, May 1, 2017, and November 29, 2017.