Morris Pierce Papers on University of Northern Colorado Buildings and Grounds
Collection Scope and Contents
This collection documents the development of the built environment of the UNC campus including land acquisition and space planning. Morris Pierce collected these materials while researching his 1988 thesis “A Century of Campus Planning and Construction at the University of Northern Colorado.” Photocopies of early legal documents regarding land acquisition such as warranty deeds, title abstracts, and land patent certificates are included as well as a copy of the Articles of Incorporation for the Normal School Land Association, Inc. Also included are property appraisals, water rights information, blueprints and floor plans for some campus buildings, reports on space planning for the campus, reports from the State of Colorado regarding building programs in state-supported institutions of higher education, and correspondence related to campus buildings.
- 1889 - 1987
- Majority of material found within 1891 - 1980
- Pierce, Morris Albert (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright restrictions may apply. User is responsible for all copyright compliance. Please contact the Archives and Special Collections Department for further information.
Morris A. Pierce was a civil engineer with the UNC Facilities and Operations department in the late 1980s. He was instrumental in the renovation of Ross Hall in 1988 and has been credited with the concept of adding the wing to the north side of that building. During his time at UNC, Pierce earned a Master of Arts degree in History. As an engineer, he was fascinated by buildings - how and when they were built and how they functioned. This interest led him to research the history of UNC’s land and buildings and culminated in his master’s thesis entitled “A Century of Campus Planning and Construction at the University of Northern Colorado.” Among the many sources Pierce used in his research were files from the Facilities and Operations office, which he collected and donated to the University Archives in 1988.
4.9 Linear Feet (5 boxes)
Language of Materials
Containing materials collected by Morris Pierce while researching his 1988 thesis "A Century of Campus Planning and Construction at the University of Northern Colorado," this collection documents the development of the built environment of the UNC campus including land acquisition and space planning.
This collection is divided into the following series and subseries:
Series 1. UNC Materials Related to Land Acquisition and Development Subseries 1 - Historical Legal Documents Subseries 2 – Master’s Thesis Proposal Subseries 3 – Physical Plant and Financial reports Subseries 4 - Trustee Reports Series 2. University Buildings and Property Documents
Series 3. State of Colorado Documents
The materials in this collection were donated by Morris Pierce circa 1988.
Processed by Shan Watkins, 2019.
- Campus planning -- Colorado -- Greeley
- College buildings -- Colorado -- Greeley
- College campuses -- Colorado -- Greeley
- Colorado State College (Greeley, Colo.)
- Colorado State College of Education
- Colorado State Teachers College
- State Normal School of Colorado (Greeley, Colo.)
- University of Northern Colorado
- Morris Pierce Papers on University of Northern Colorado Buildings and Grounds
- Shirley Soenksen, updated by Shan Watkins
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Edition statement
- Outline of contents created in 1994 and updated in 1995, 1996, 1999, and 2001. Inventory prepared in 2008 and revised in 2015 with updates in 2017 and 2018. Updated to conform to DACS in 2019. Collection reprocessed and revisions to finding aid completed November 2019.